After covering the book successfully, I decided to see what would happen if I tried to cover a table. Almost every single item in my black-and-white detective room needs consideration in how it becomes black and white. The wall can be covered with paint, or paper, painting the book seems like a pretty bad idea, but what does one do with furniture?
Since I have an abundance of newsprint paper from an earlier project in the year, it seemed like a good idea to get through some of that. After all, newsprint paper is usually used to do rough mockups. Covering the surface of the table wasn’t very difficult, but trying to wrap the legs while keeping the surfaces flat and distinct most certainly was. I tried as much as possible to hide the means by which I was securing the paper to the table. One of the difficulties of this entire concept is that everything in the room should look like it is actually drawn, even though it obviously isn’t. My fear of painting objects like the chairs and such, is that the paint streaks give the game away. Just with blue tack and some masking tape, I covered half of the table, not especially well, then went about trying to represent the details of the table with some ink pens. I used a fine-liner and a brush-pen for the small and large details respectively when I was working on the book. The increase in scale meant an increase in the size of my tools.
Of particular difficulty was attempting to apply consistently placed lines on the edges of the table legs. It’s an incredibly difficult thing to apply ink to the edge of anything without your hand slipping. I managed to invented a technique of steadying one hand with the other while using the side of my brush pen. In trying to understand what I had started doing instinctually, I actually took a step backwards. I have no doubt that trying to meticulously craft every object in this room is a full-time job for several people. Several talented and very, very patient people. It was always going to be likely that I would simply have to present the idea, not actually create the room, and these prototyping exercises emphasised that point.